OpenBoxes is an open-source, web-based application developed by supply chain professionals working in resource-scarce settings. As open-source software, OpenBoxes is available to use and modify at no charge under the terms of the Eclipse Public License and can be configured and customized for interested parties to meet their specific needs. Already existing functionality includes, but is not limited to, inventory tracking, lot and expiry tracking, stock movement and shipment tracking, purchase orders, stock requisitions and fulfillment, as well as built-in and customizable reports.
OpenBoxes was designed specifically for low-resource settings where existing infrastructure for electronic inventory management is limited. With minimal hardware requirements, flexible implementation options, an intuitive user interface, and user-friendly workflows, the software provides immediate results for organizations working in challenging environments who are looking for better inventory control and planning possibilities. While OpenBoxes was built to address the specific needs of healthcare supply chains and supply chain staff in developing countries, new workflows and functionality can and have been built to adapt to the needs of other contexts.
OpenBoxes is supported by a community of software developers and implementation specialists who have supply chain expertise within the global health context. The OpenBoxes community is continually optimizing existing features and developing new features to innovatively meet users’ needs. OpenBoxes community members are available to provide implementation support, training (in English, French, and Haitian Creole), user manual creation, data migration, software configuration and customization, software upgrades, hardware support, and supply chain consulting services.
- Revamped user-friendly stock list management functionality
- Customizable permissions
- Advanced data analytics to provide real-time metrics to improve decision making
- Item merge functionality
- Integration with third-party accounting and constituent relationship management (CRM) systems like QuickBooks, Salesforce
- Integration with IoT devices like cold chain thermometers to record the temperature of cold-chain items in real-time
- Mobile app to improve usability for workers within the warehouse
- Workflows that incorporate barcoding to improve efficiency of receipt and putaway as well as requisition fulfillment and replenishment tasks
- Asset management (i.e tracking of fixed asset status, location, repairs, and warranties)
- Integration with pharmacy point-of-service (POS) / electronic medical records (EMR) systems in order to close the consumption loop at the prescription and drug administration level and to detect/prevent shrinkage due to theft, damage, and spillage
- Integration with Twilio to provide SMS notifications for stock alerts and items requiring replenishment, as well as reminders to check stock levels based on user-defined schedules